Re: [Gtk-osx-users] Drawing outside an expose event

On Sep 15, 2009, at 6:03 PM, Joe Jones wrote:

Hi

I'm porting a small program to OS x. I have to assume it works just
fine on linux/X11.

Anyway, this program has a custom widget. It is drawing on this widget
only you don't see it unless you happen to be resizing the window at
the same time. I read somewhere that os x double buffers everything,
so I assume that the drawing commands are going into an off screen
surface. I guess on linux these commands go straight onto the screen.

So I look for a way to update the screen, and all I can see is
gtk_widget_queue_draw_area and other functions which result in an
expose event. Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe inside the expose
event handler is the correct place to do drawing?

My main question is, is there a way to draw outside the expose event
handler, and have the screen updated.

Sorry if this is a newbie question.

I don't know if it's a newbie question or not. I also don't know what is the answer, but I'm worried that you're doing a lot of "assuming".