Re: [Gtk-osx-users] newbie begs for assistance

On Jul 10, 2009, at 7:01 AM, Weinstein, Aron wrote:

Hi There,

I'd like to get Gnucash packaged natively for my Mac - latest version of Leopard (10.5.whatever)

I have rarely done anything in the terminal and I would appreciate a really, really, really basic step-by-step.

I began at the beginning, by downloading gtk-osx-setup.sh to my home directory.  I renamed it as a .command and ran it, but immediately ran into a permission issue.

What do I need to do to get it to run?

please be patient with me, and sorry for the basic question(s)!

Aron

The instructions at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz and http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gtk-osx/wiki/Build are about as basic as it gets. You do have to follow them exactly, and I've just added to the gtk-osx build instructions the exact command to use from Terminal to run the setup script.

Did you complete all of the prerequisites? The install script *will fail* if you didn't.

There are lots and lots of books and websites out there from which you can learn basic unix commandline operations, and there's a lot of power in your Mac that you can get at only from the command line. It's well worth a few hours of your time.