Re: [gtk-osx-devel] Libsoup Introspection (was Bison 3 and WebKit)

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 9:55 AM, Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:
>
> I still get an error building libsoup, only on modulesets-unstable. I worked around it by adding --disable-introspection to libsoup's autogenargs in my local configuration file, since I assume it's a temporary problem. I haven't yet had time to pinpoint where it came from, though. Have you seen this before at all?
>
>   GISCAN   Soup-2.4.gir
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/bin/g-ir-scanner", line 55, in <module>
>     sys.exit(scanner_main(sys.argv))
>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 517, in scanner_main
>     ss = create_source_scanner(options, args)
>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 430, in create_source_scanner
>     ss.parse_files(filenames)
>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/sourcescanner.py", line 256, in parse_files
>     self._parse(headers)
>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/sourcescanner.py", line 302, in _parse
>     proc.stdin.write('#ifndef %s\n' % (define, ))
> IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
> make[3]: *** [Soup-2.4.gir] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Well, I finally needed to fix this, since we’re about to do a Gramps release. It was more involved than I thought, too: The broken pipe turned out to be from Popen getting a SIGSEGV; I’m not able to tell if it’s from the fork or the exec. Here’s the weird part, and the work-around. They’re the same:

Select 4 to open a shell. cd to glib-networking. Run
  make uninstall && make install
Quit the shell and select 1, rerun build. All will be well.

How’s that for weird?

Sure is. I'm completely stumped. The workaround might point at glib-networking doing something bad at shared-library load time, but it looks like the segfault occurs while still passing input to the compiler, before shared libraries are loaded.

--
Philip