Re: [gtk-osx-devel] im-quartz discard_preedit causes segmentation fault on OS X 10.11

On Aug 22, 2015, at 9:11 PM, Ethan Sherriff <ethansherriff hotmail co uk> wrote:

I have recently noticed having upgraded glade (to 3.18.3), that the function discard_preedit (modules/input/imquartz.c:237) causes a segmentation fault when the user clicks on a GtkEntry.
I’m not sure why this occurs but, when I copy lade outside of ~/gtk/inst/bin (jhbuild installs all my gtk+ binaries there) and run the copied executable through a jhbuild shell or jhbuild run ./glade, the problem goes away fine. If I rename ~/gtk/inst/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-quartz.so to something else, then I get runtime warnings in the console about not being able to load I’m-quartz.so, but the problem is gone. I notice no different functionality with the GtkEntry in these cases as to text boxes in OS X apps, so is it safe just to comment out the function implementation of “discard_preedit”. The problem was also not present in glade 3.16.1, but its probably a change in the glade source forcing the use im-quartz, which could be broken.
I think this is also mentioned here (https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/OSX) under “input methods” as: “Bridged to native input methods with imquartz, but it breaks all text entry on Leopard.”.
I’m not sure if this is due to a change that apple made in 10.11 El Capitan, but any advice would be appreciated.

Please open a bug in BZ at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gtk%2B, Component Input Methods and attach the crash report. A debugging build will produce the best stack trace. If you would, please test a build with the 10.10 SDK.

Note that ~/gtk/inst is the default prefix, which you can change by assigning something else to “prefix” in ~/.jhbuildrc-custom. You’ll find detailed comments about that and the other common settings, including how to change SDK, in the sample .jhbuildrc-custom that gtk-osx-build-setup.sh installed for you.

I’m on travel right now and won’t have a 10.11 VM available until I get back Friday evening.

Regards,
John Ralls