Re: [Gtk-osx-devs] building GTK2 on MACOSX

On Jul 29, 2011, at 8:17 AM, Alain Hebert wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> Would-it be possible, in future, to enable the installation of GTK+ 2 (X Quartz) without having to
> first delete Fink and MacPorts (or to unset environment variables).
>
> Thank you in advance and congratulation for your excellent work.

Not exactly the answer to your question (which I don't understand), but to "Can you make it so that Gtk-OSX will build with a Fink or MacPorts environment present?" No. The problem is that MacPorts and especially Fink have their own dependency chains and library configurations that are incompatible with running outside of their environments. Those PATH and DYLD settings pull in the wrong aclocals, pkgconfigs, and dylibs and break the build in Gtk-OSX. If this really bothers you, go get them to be less anti-social and to set themselves up without polluting the rest of your environment.

Note, though, that .jhbuildrc-custom affords you full access to Python, and the os module is already imported, so you can pretty easily add a few lines to clean up your environment before calling setup_sdk(). In order for me to add that to the template .jhbuildrc-custom or to .jhbuildrc, I'd have to install both of them to test against, and I'm not willing to do that. If you are, I'll add your version to the repo as an alternate template.

Similarly, you could de-pollute your environment by creating a special bashrc-fink or bashrc-macports and run bash --rcfile foo to easily setup for using whichever; this is essentially what jhbuild shell does.

Now as to why I don't understand your question: Gtk+-2 can be installed by either Fink or MacPorts, but it can only be built with one backend at a time, either X11 or quartz. (Gtk+-3 can be built with multiple backends, but the quartz backend doesn't support that very well yet.) MacPorts has had the ability to build quartz for some time, AFAIK Fink is X11 only.  There's no requirement to use Gtk-OSX to build Gtk+; in fact, some people build it with the stock jhbuild modulesets.

Regards,
John Ralls