Re: AW: GTK3+ Question regarding LPGL

Forgot to add group email.

On Tue, 2018-10-30 at 12:35 -0500, p sun fun gmail com wrote:
I would start from
$ldd <program>

According to pkg-config, a static linkage should be manually
activated
using PKG_CHECK_MODULES_STATIC() called before PKG_CHECK_MODULES().
Unless it says explicitly to link using static library it should use
shared library.

On Mon, 2018-10-29 at 21:10 -0700, gwoltmann wpitcom com wrote:
Well, somehow, when pkg-config is using -l parameter, I guess so,
but
maybe I am wrong - how can I find out?

Ordoid Xu4, Ubuntu 18.01 Kernel 4.14

Greetings

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: p sun fun gmail com [mailto:p sun fun gmail com]
Gesendet: Montag, 29. Oktober 2018 21:00
An: gwoltmann wpitcom com; gtk-list gnome org
Betreff: Re: GTK3+ Question regarding LPGL

Are you sure you link statically?

pkg-config --libs gtk+-3.0

Should be dynamic. What build system do you use?

On Mon, 2018-10-29 at 15:34 -0700, gwoltmann wpitcom com wrote:
Dear Team,

We are currently making an application with the Gtk3+ system to
create
configuration software for our Ubuntu based system – a
commercial
system.
We have seen that you wrote that the software is LGPL and we
evaluated
the pkg-config used, finding out, that it links static, as we
read
everything, the LGPL states that in case we link static, we have
provide all source to the recipients – possibly, which rather a
“small” problem, as the code also includes confidential routines
and
information.

So my questions is, is there a useful whitepaper how to link
dynamically, which also might not be a bad idea, or, whether you
allow
us to link static for the project – how is your standard
procedure
for
that?

It would be great to hear from you. You might enjoy what we have
created with your product as well – optically and from the point
of
view of function…

Greetings from Central America
Guido Woltmann