Re: Is it possible to catch ALT+TAB and do nothing

Given your earlier mails, the thing you want to achieve is near to impossible. Even if you donʼt give focus to every terminal app that can ever exist, I can press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to go to the textual console and do whatever Iʼd like. If there is one thing in the X world you canʼt catch is this (and maybe Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). Of course, you can disable those in the X config. If a regular user can install software on the machine, you stand no chance; even without root access it is possible.

If you donʼt want the user to interact with the computer at a specific time, why not firing up the password protected screen saver?

On Tue, May 8, 2018, 00:46 James Cameron <quozl laptop org> wrote:
On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 05:03:40PM -0500, Igor Korot wrote:
> James,
>
> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 4:46 PM, James Cameron <quozl laptop org> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 04:27:57PM -0500, Igor Korot wrote:
> >> Paul et al,
> >> Any idea how to configure FVWM to not to give focus to xterm if one
> >> specific window is displayed?
> >
> > You might ask on an fvwm mailing list, but fvwm does have a
> > NeverFocus method that can be applied to an application such as xterm.
>
> Yes, just subscribed to their forum and will ask that question.
> >
> > http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/manpages/fvwm.html
> >
> > But that would just fix your problem for xterm; to enforce focus for a
> > lock screen, there's more to do.  Have a look at the code for other
> > lock screens to find out what that is.
>
> We do not provide any external application where the user can interact
> with the keyboard/focus handling
> in order to try and guess the information that should be secured.
> Only the xterm is a concern.

If this is an embedded system or kiosk application, replace xterm with
something of your own making that uses libvte as a widget.  That way
you can assert full control over when the widget is visible.

I've found VTE acceptable for most use cases I've thrown at it.

Though I still use xterm when I can.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/