Re: Signal emission from an object thread

On Thu, 2017-03-16 at 10:42 +0100, Emmanuel Pacaud wrote:
Hi,

I have an issue related to the use of g_signal_emit called from an
object thread.

Hi Emmanuel,

I dont think there is an easy way out of that.

I have used GWeakRef for references that threads make to objects owned
by parent thread which may finalize with parent, to solve similar
problems, but I dont believe I've tried using signals belonging to a
thread spawning object from the thread itself.

Another approach, if you want to keep using GSignal, would be to create
a different object that is owned completely by the thread.

Cheers,
    -Tristan

The object has a 'new-buffer' signal. It receives data in a thread
it
owns, and emits this signal from this thread. When the object is
finalized, it sets a 'stop' gboolean to TRUE, that tells the thread
stop. It then joins the thread, then proceed to ressource
deallocation.

The problem is g_signal_emit increases the reference count of the
object. That means if the user unref the object from the main thread
(thinking he releases the last reference) during the call to
g_signal_emit, the object is now owned only by the thread. When
g_signal_emit unref the object, the finalization happens on the
object
thread, which will lead to the thread trying to join itself.

Hence my question: is it possible to emit a signal without
increasing
the reference count of the object ? I'd really like to avoid adding
an
explicit 'stop-the-thread' or 'inhibit-signal' function, to be used
before g_object_unref.

The code is here:

https://github.com/AravisProject/aravis/blob/7a024607f812d03ff87a906c
e7f99a1a3bc13b9f/src/arvstream.c
https://github.com/AravisProject/aravis/blob/7a024607f812d03ff87a906c
e7f99a1a3bc13b9f/src/arvuvstream.c

A fix proposal with an explicit inhibit signal function:

https://github.com/AravisProject/aravis/pull/51

Cheers,

      Emmanuel.