Subject: Re: Blurry tray icons with hidpi GTK3
Local Time: October 14, 2016 3:56 PM
UTC Time: October 14, 2016 7:56 PM
From: ebassi gmail com
To: Dankles <me dankles com>
gtk-list gnome org <gtk-list gnome org>

Hi;

The tray icon specification was written long before HiDPI was ever a twinkle in some engineer's eye, and has never supported scale factor negotiation. Additionally, icon sizes are pretty much hard coded by applications, so even if there were a way to specify multiple icons for different tray sizes or scaling factors, you would very likely still get blurry icons anyway.

Those are, incidentally, a few of the reasons why GTK deprecated GtkStatusIcon in the 3.0 API series - the other, major one being that Wayland does not have any additional protocol to define tray icons with menus and actions attached to them.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.