Re: Computing border size of GtkFrame

On 23.03.2016 at 16:52 Igor Korot wrote:

Hi, Andreas,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Andreas Falkenhahn
<andreas falkenhahn com> wrote:
I need to compute the border sizes of a GtkFrame before the window containing
that GtkFrame has been realized. Precisely, I need the distances between the
GtkFrame container widget and its child. AFAICS, this isn't possible to get
before the GtkFrame has been realized. So I thought that I could use a workaround
that creates a top-level window, adds a GtkFrame with a GtkButton and computes
the size and destroys everything again. Here is the code:

What is it that you are trying to accomplish/achieve?

Fixing wxWidgets. src/common/sizer.cpp calls wxStaticBox::GetBordersForSizer()
at a time when the window hasn't been realized yet. Hence, the values returned
are spurious.

Maybe this is possible in some other way?

Sure there is. But then you'd probably have to rewrite major parts of the wxSizer
logic. So I prefer keeping the logic that we have and force the GTK+ backend to
make it do what we need, even if it's a hackish solution. But maybe there's a nicer
and cleaner.... that's why I was asking here, so please don't hijack this thread,
Igor :)

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andreas falkenhahn com