Re: Strategy for unit testing GTK+ applications in C

On 05/16/2015 11:45 AM, John Tall wrote:
This time however I'm building an application, so it will already have
its own main routine. I can't link my unit tests to the application
because that would give me two main routines, the main entry point of
the application and the main entry point of the unit test. So my
question is how to construct the application so that I can test it
with unit tests?

It is be possible to link an application in a way that does not call
main but a different function on start-up. I've never used them, but I
believe linker scripts can do that. It probably is less portable though.

My first thought was to just build the entire application as a library
and link the unit tests with it, then all I would need for the actual
application would be a separate program that just creates an instance
of my GtkApplication subclass and runs it. It would be small enough
that it doesn't need any unit tests, and I could even link it
statically when installing the program.

This is what I would do, but I don't know what is common -- other than
doing no unit testing at all, of course.