Re: Gtk::Window resize grip replacement

Hi,

Am 14.05.2015 um 20:09 schrieb Emmanuele Bassi:
Hi;

On 14 May 2015 at 18:59, Detlef Reichl <detlef reichl gmx org> wrote:

the resize grip of Gtk::Window (gtk_window_set_has_resize_grip) is
deprecated since 3.14. Is there a suggested replacement, or do I have to
do it on my own?

The actual question is: why do you feel the need for a resize grip?

Some context: the only reason the resize grip was introduced was
because stacking window managers (as opposed to tiling ones) didn't
cope well with themes using 1px window borders; since then, window
managers have added invisible resize areas around the window or they
have window borders larger than 1 pixel. For client-side decorations,
GTK+ will handle the invisible resize areas itself, but in absence of
a compositor, GTK+ will revert to a visible border with enough padding
to allow resizing.

What it is that you're trying to achieve?

It is simply, that from my point of view, the width of the resize area -
with compositor and client side decorations - is to small. I don't like
GUIs, where I have to place the mouse pointer with an accuracy of a view
pixels. For my self, that is not such a big problem, because I have very
good fine motor skills, but I know people, who have not and for them I
think a dedicated quite big resize grip would be useful.

Cheer, detlef

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.