How to get Colors?

I am trying to get general GTK system colors for use in custom rendering operations.  In MSW, I would get these colors through a function like GetSysColor, but GTK does not appear to have such a function.

The only way that comes to mind, to get a bunch of common system colors, is to create a bunch of widgets (one of each type that has a color I need), parent said widget, and make sure its realized, using gtk_style_context_get_color.  This seems like an awful lot of overhead (and a bit overkill) just to get some colors.  Am I missing some more direct method?

I am using GTK3.