Re: Misconduct of GTK+/glib Bugtracker Admins

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 19:25:56 +0200
John Tall <mjtallx gmail com> wrote:

And you want the GNOME developers to support all of them?

I want GTK+ developers to stick to GUI development with minimal dependencies, and certainly no DE-specific
dependencies, and not engage the entire Red Hat stack in the GUI, as they've already tried to do multiple
times, including in their handling of this bug report.

GTK+ does not require systemd.

Tell that to the Red Hat devs - they seem to believe there are requirements for it.

GTK+ does not require GNOME.

Indeed, and that is why it still has value to me and my users, and why I described as misinformation the
distortions being given by those GTK+ developers, who were telling us that we can't expect GTK+ to operate
reasonably when we pick and choose components, or don't install all of GNOME (gvfs etc), and we can expect no
support without GNOME.

GTK+ does not care about the init system or distro.

Indeed, and yet those Red Hat employees were telling us that systemd should be universal, and were injecting
that discussion into a GTK+/GIO bug, obstructing a trivial solution.  I wonder why.

GTK+ is not a Red Hat project.

Try making a commit without Red Hat's permission, or making any change in a direction Red Hat doesn't approve
of.  Try reporting any bug like this one, and see who responds, and how, and who starts threatening people.

Anyone volunteering efforts to GTK is being scammed.  GTK used to be a community-driven and created project,
now Red Hat is merely exploiting volunteers, ignoring user input (users are furious), and dictating
engineering directions.

Real free software developers listen to users.  Corporations don't, they dictate.  You can measure a Linux
project pretty easily that way.