Re: Undeprecate GtkAlignment ?

Hi;

On 4 June 2015 at 09:54, Oscar Lazzarino <oscar lazzarino i-m3d com> wrote:
On 04/06/2015 01:38, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

Hi;
[..]
To be fair, it's high time people started writing their layout
managers as well, instead of just having GTK provide them; this way,
if they get included inside GTK, we'll all have a good grasp on their
use, scope, and constraints, before committing to API stability.

I tried that (a looong time ago, on GTK 2.4) and eventually all I did was
extending GtkTable and rewriting gtk_widget_size_allocate.

I do hope you realize that comparing an attempt made (almost
literally) 10 years ago is going to be fairly different from one made
now.

At the time there was no tutorial, no decent documentation on how to write a
layout manager, no examples aside the (quite complicated) source of GtkTable
and the likes. In the end I still don't know if I did everything "in the
right way", but it works, so I guess it's fine (at least for our purposes).

Is the situation still the same? I can see why most people prefer to use the
standard layout containers rather than implementing their own...

No, the documentation is not the same.

You can read the API reference:

  https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWidget.html
  https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkContainer.html

And the wiki:

  https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/CustomWidgets

If something is not clear, you can file bugs against the
documentation; those are routinely fixed very quickly.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io