Re: replacement for GtkImageMenuItem

hi;

On 23 March 2014 22:01, Stefan Salewski <mail ssalewski de> wrote:

Now when images are deprecated in
the long term we will get GTK GUI's with less images. OK for me. But is
it OK for smart-phone kids? Well, if other operating systems will reduce
images also, they may accept it.

the HIG for MacOS, for instance, have been clearly mandating buttons
and menu items without images (except for few cases) for a long, long
time. it's not something GNOME by itself came up with during the 2.x
cycle, as much as we'd like to take credit for this kind of stuff.
there are other places where Apple copied GNOME. ;-)

using well understood icons inside buttons is perfectly fine: GNOME
(and MacOS, and Windows, and Android, and iOS, etc.) use buttons with
only icons inside them for actions. if I open a window of the latest
Nautilus (3.11.92) I count at least 7 icon-only buttons. those are
pretty well-defined, and understood icons, though: backward arrow,
forward arrow, looking glass, list, grid, downward arrow for selecting
more options, and the gear menu (similar to the one used by Chrome and
mobile operating systems).

it's also not removing icons from the UI: still in Nautilus, all the
shortcuts to known locations and volumes have an icon.

the main difference is that we went from a model where menu items with
a "verb" (open, save, new, copy, paste, zoom, ...) have an icon, to a
model where menu items with a "noun" (bookmarks, disks, applications)
have an icon.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--