Re: Porting GTK+ app from defining custom stock items to using GtkIconTheme

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 12:52 +0100, Balint Reczey wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to move Wireshark from using the deprecated
gtk_toggle_tool_button_new_from_stock(), etc. API to use
gtk_toggle_tool_button_new() and friends instead [1].

Wireshark defines many custom icons icons, but they can't be properly
set on buttons/toolbars or in menus. The ones loaded XPM format appear
scaled up while the ones loaded from inline pixbufs do not appear at all.
Stock GTK+ icons work fine.

What do I miss? I could not find relevant parts in the new API, the
original code worked fine.

I have tested the code with GTK 3.6 and 3.10 on Debian Wheezy and
experimental respectively.

Thanks in advance,
Balint

I think this is your third identical post -- again with the

custom icons icons

typing error. It may help when you can provide a minimal example
program, preferable in plain C.
Grammar mistakes seems to be the only way of catching attention,
but thanks for pointing this out. ;-)
The link I have sent in two of my emails points to a gerrit review, where
I have marked the relevant parts.
Could you please check it? It should do as fine as a minimal example to
experienced eyes.

It was my feeling that Wireshark switched to Qt about one year ago?
Several core developers, most notably Gerald Combs work hard on improving
the Qt GUI, but the GTK+ 2/3 GUI still works fine on Linux, too.
If the deprecation warnings could be fixed, we may be able to keep it alive for
some time.

The frequent API changes played a huge role in deciding to switch, but if I get
some help here in handling them I can keep the GTK+ UI in acceptable state.

Thanks in advance,
Balint

At least google told me so.