GtkStyleContext/Symbolic-Icons without GtkWidget

I'd appreciate if anyone could review the minimal code [1] and let me
know if I'm doing things the "correct" way. The questions are in-lined
comments within the code. My main concerns are:

1] Using gtk_widget_path_new/gtk_style_context_new to display symbolic
icons for objects (in this case a GtkStatusIcon) which don't inherit
from GtkWidget. Is this the correct approach? Correct me if I'm wrong,
but gtk_status_icon_new_from_icon_name doesn't honor GtkStyleContext
when displaying symbolic icons. Keep in mind that I'll eventually need
pixbufs for compositing the final icon from multiple sources.

2] The compilation errors with g_signal_handlers_disconnect_by_func:
error: invalid conversion from ‘GCallback {aka void (*)()}’ to
‘gpointer {aka void*}’

And of course I'd rather not leak any references...

sincerely,

[1] http://hpaste.org/87255