Eliminating "Recents" from FileChooserDefault.c

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to GTK.

I would like to customize the filechooserdefault.c file such that it
no longer allows the user to browse to RecentLocations.

I see that the recent_manager is initialized in init:
===========
  impl->recent_manager = gtk_recent_manager_get_default ();
===========

And the folder is added in shortcuts_model_create:
==================
  if (impl->recent_manager)
    {
      shortcuts_append_recent (impl);
      shortcuts_insert_separator (impl, SHORTCUTS_RECENT_SEPARATOR);
    }
  ==================

I've tried to eliminate this shortcut by commenting out these lines
but I wind up with an assert error in
shortcuts_remove_rows

      if (!gtk_tree_model_get_iter (GTK_TREE_MODEL
(impl->shortcuts_model), &iter, path))
        g_assert_not_reached ();

What is the right way to eliminate the Recent Items shortcut?

Thanks
Mitchell