Running apps with right theme in nested X servers

I found out something quite interesting while tracing an issue with the
WebKitGtk+ tests and it is that when running the app against a different
display, in this case the nested X server, which in the case of the
webkit test runner is Xvfb, the default system theme is used instead of
the one contained in the jhbuild environment.

What I can see with strace is that:
      * When running against the nested X server, only the hicolor
        system theme is accessed.
      * When running against my X window server I can see the jhbuild
        icon theme cache accessed and I can also see the icons.

I guess that more than the theme, I need to specify at the X server
where to fetch the themes and so on. Any hints you guys can give me?

Thanks in advance and best regards.