Re: Difference between Gtk2 and Gtk3 output

Thanks Tristan.

One thing I dont understand, is why you have a viewport
outside of a scrolled window, what is that intended to do ?

The original Gtk2 code is presented in the first post (and is from Krauses' book). The idea is simple: having two packed widgets and limited space one might to scroll one window and the other one follows suit (scrolls the same amount, both horizontally and vertically). In Gtk2 it works flawlessly, but I cannot make it work using Gtk3.

Certainly, the viewport requires all the vertical space and
so none is left over for the scrolled window below (how
would that be unexpected ?).

Well to me a viewport is a (sub)window of a larger space. Just by using a viewport you already sending a "message" that you do not want to see all the contents at once. The same message is implied by using a scrolled window; hence both widgets should ask for the same space in the vertical box (as they do with Gtk2).

Proost!
:- )