Re: Problem compiling glib

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 07:49:24AM -0400, Chris Fisichella wrote:
Thanks for the debugging help. I noticed how Sergei has libraries in other
places besides /usr/local.

Did "xmllint --help" work?

I am not familiar -rpath you mentioned earlier. Where can I find
information about that?

On reflection, I'm not sure it would help as the shared library is found.
The problem is the search order. I assume that you running Linux,
and ld-linux.so(8) tells me:

  The necessary shared libraries needed by the program are  searched  for
  in the following order

  o      Using      the      environment     variable     LD_LIBRARY_PATH
         (LD_AOUT_LIBRARY_PATH for a.out programs).  Except if  the  exeâ
         cutable is a setuid/setgid binary, in which case it is ignored.

  o      From  the  cache file /etc/ld.so.cache which contains a compiled
         list of candidate libraries previously found  in  the  augmented
         library path.

  o      In the default path /lib, and then /usr/lib.

I suspect that you have "/usr/local/lib" in /etc/ld.so.conf or
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf, so from the order above, libraries in
/usr/local/lib will be used before e.g. /lib/libreadline.so.6

ldconfig -v might help you figure out the search order which is actually
used.

I am going to try to recompile the dependencies a little more
methodically. I'll include a build of libxml2. When I install either
dbus or readline I find gdm breaks. I'll keep an eye out for locating
libraries in other places and see how I can use that.

The immediate readline dependency of xmllint should be removable with
--without-readline as an argument to configure when building libxml2,
which then hopefully will get you a working glib2 build, which was the
original problem.

As to gdm, I think you may end up in "dependency hell" - which version
are you using BTW?

Cheers,

Patrick
(pkgsrc.org may help as a source building shortcut)