GDataInputStream API return types

Hi,

I was wondering why the GDataInputStream API returns "char *" instead
of "gchar *".

Also, looking at the source code, the returning pointer for functions
like "g_data_input_stream_read_line ()" should be g_free 'd. This is
not clear from the documentation [1]. Maybe it can be improved to
explicitly remind the user that the pointer should be g_free 'd. The
documentation for the String Utility Functions does that in a nice way
[2]. Am I missing something? I could provide patches for improving
that documentation.

Thank you for the help,

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GDataInputStream.html#g-data-input-stream-read-line
[2] http://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-String-Utility-Functions.html