Re: GTK2 performance issues on low-end computers running X11, but not Win32

You could try puppy Linux. I had good results with that on an ancient laptop a year or two ago. It'll run off a live CD so you don't need to nuke your bsd install. If it's unusable under puppy, gtk2 is probably just unfixably slow. If puppy works quickly enough, it might be worth tweaking your gtk install.

What was the last gtk2 that could build without Cairo? You could try going back to that.