Re: High Quality Icon For GtkWindow

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM, David Nečas <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 01:09:28PM -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
>> So. In order to carry a 16x16, 22x22, 24x24, and a 32x32 icon, we have:
>> 55k for an icon is stretching it.
>
> That depends on the data I asked about: If programs send 500k over the
> wire anyway then 50k for the icon can be fine.  Are such data available?
>
>> We already have a way to load a high-quality icon for an application.
>> I don't think punting 96x96 icons across the wire is worthwhile.
>> Application matching has a lot of other benefits, so it's worthwhile
>> just to create a .desktop file.
>
> Application matching is a serious information locality violation, i.e.
> maintenance hell.  As the OP demostrated...

Yes, renaming the binary does mean that by default, the WM_CLASS
changes, as by default it is the same as the program name, which by
default is initialized to argv[0]. You can 'fix' this by using
g_set_prgname. I cannot think of any valid situation that would
require the use of a renamed binary, though.

--
  Jasper