OSX retina support

Hello,

How do I execute an app I've compiled myself so that it runs with
retina support? For example I have compiled pidgin and executing the
pidgin binary works fine but the fonts are blurry. If I take the 2.5.8
pre packaged dmg version of pidgin and edit the info plist with

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
<true/>

Then retina support is enabled which would be great except that I want
the latest version of pidgin. Is there a way to enable retina support
for the fonts when executing pidgin directly from the command line
with a compiled build?

Thanks,

Adam