Using GLists

Hi. I'm new to GTK+.
Currently I'm using GTK+ (not gtkmm) in C++ with the MinGW compiler for
Windows.
I have a gtkiconview that contains both text and images. I know that I can
get a GList from the selected item with gtk_icon_view_get_selected_items(),
but how do I get the that information from the GList? I don't need to get
the icon of the currently selected item, just the text. Or is there a better
way to get the text from the currently selected item?
Thanks in advance.