Re: GtkContainer Gtk 3.0 vs Gtk 3.2 geometry management

2011/10/19 Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org>
Note I spent a lot of time writing something like this last year.

I would like to eventually port it into GTK+ as the internal implementation
of the GtkToolPalette.

See:
  http://git.gnome.org/browse/libegg/tree/libegg/wrapbox

Thanks for answer!
But in your example same problem!
If you pack wrapbox directly in to frame (without scrolled_window)
then, you can not change the height of the window to smaller than it was at the start.

look at screenshots
this is window after start http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/testwrapbox1.png/
and this is
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/testwrapbox.png/
after changing the width of the window, it should allow to reduce its height, because there are many free space, but it does not.

With GTK3.0 i use little trick for that,
i store maximum allowed width in private variable, and in function
get_preferred_height_for_width
i always calculate height not for minimum width but for stored width.

There is how it looks like
    public override void get_preferred_height_for_width (int width,out int minimum_height, out int natural_height) {

        /*workaround for min_height, if actual available width more than self minimum width*/
        if( this.minimum_width!=width ||
        !(this.minimum_width==width && this.natural_width >= width) ){
            this.natural_width=width;
        }

        this._get_preferred_height_for_width(this.natural_width,out minimum_height, out natural_height);
        this.natural_height = natural_height;
    }

where this.natural_width is stored maximum width.
Because get_preferred_height_for_width called several times , first time for minimum width, others for allocated width,
and because while i resizing window, gtk always recalculate size , in gtk3.0 my window always have actual size.

As i'm understand, problem appears because of the following changes in gtkcontainer.c in GTK3.2

+typedef struct {
+  gint hfw;
+  gint wfh;
+} RequestModeCount;
+
+static void
+count_request_modes (GtkWidget        *widget,
+             RequestModeCount *count)
+{
+  GtkSizeRequestMode mode = gtk_widget_get_request_mode (widget);
+
+  switch (mode)
+    {
+    case GTK_SIZE_REQUEST_HEIGHT_FOR_WIDTH:
+      count->hfw++;
+      break;
+    case GTK_SIZE_REQUEST_WIDTH_FOR_HEIGHT:
+      count->wfh++;
+      break;
+    case GTK_SIZE_REQUEST_CONSTANT_SIZE:
+    default:
+      break;
+    }
+}
+
+static GtkSizeRequestMode
+gtk_container_get_request_mode (GtkWidget *widget)
+{
+  GtkContainer        *container = GTK_CONTAINER (widget);
+  GtkContainerPrivate *priv      = container->priv;
+
+  /* Recalculate the request mode of the children by majority
+   * vote whenever the internal content changes */
+  if (_gtk_widget_get_width_request_needed (widget) ||
+      _gtk_widget_get_height_request_needed (widget))
+    {
+      RequestModeCount count = { 0, 0 };
+
+      gtk_container_forall (container, (GtkCallback)count_request_modes, &count);
+
+      if (!count.hfw && !count.wfh)
+    priv->request_mode = GTK_SIZE_REQUEST_CONSTANT_SIZE;
+      else
+    priv->request_mode = count.wfh > count.hfw ?
+      GTK_SIZE_REQUEST_WIDTH_FOR_HEIGHT :
+      GTK_SIZE_REQUEST_HEIGHT_FOR_WIDTH;
+    }
+
+  return priv->request_mode;
+}
+

so, container will recalculate it size only if
  if (_gtk_widget_get_width_request_needed (widget) ||
      _gtk_widget_get_height_request_needed (widget))

because of that, my trick don't working with GTK 3.2,
so, my question is, how to force the container/window  to recalculate its size in gtk 3.2 ?

i try to use set_size_request and queue_resize (for container and for window),
but this functions don't help.

I hope I have clearly described their thoughts.

Cheers,
       -Tristan