Treeview selections vanish when parent collapses

If you select children in a treeview and then collapse the parent, the
selections vanish.  So: select a child, collapse the parent, expand the
parent, the child is no longer selected.  That behavior seems wrong to me.
Should I file a bug, or is GTK designed to work this way?  The tutorial for
GTK 1.2 says that the selection should remain, but that source is ancient
history.
--
Jeffrey Barish