Re: FGimpMovie project

--- On Sat, 6/11/11, David Nečas <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:

> From: David Nečas <yeti physics muni cz>
> Subject: Re: FGimpMovie project
> To: "Sergei Steshenko" <sergstesh yahoo com>
> Cc: "Fabio Gonzalez" <fabiojosue gmail com>, gtk-list gnome org
> Date: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 3:02 PM
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 02:40:12PM
> -0700, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> > And I do not think one should develop an editor based
> on 'gimp'.
> >
> > 'gimp' after all these years still doesn't have 16bpp
> images support.
>
> Anything developed today ‘based on The GIMP’ is,
> hopefully, GEGL-based
> and can handle even 32bit depth if you wish.
>
> Yeti

On my somewhat outdated SUSE-11.1 'gimp' still doesn't support 16bpp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEGL#History_of_GEGL :

"
GEGL was originally conceived as a GIMP core replacement in 2000, finally in 2006 the external API was deemed stable enough and capable of replacing the GIMP core. On 20 December 2007, it was added to the development version of GIMP. Some of GIMP's tools have already been converted to GEGL operations; mostly tools which modify colors, brightness or contrast have been converted.
"

- doesn't sound like GEGL is everywhere it should be.

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-config-use-gegl.html :

"
Warning

Please note that GIMP remains 8-bits until GEGL covers the whole application.
".

So, to me it doesn't look like 'gimp' supports 16bpp.

Regards,
  Sergei.