Re: Getting started writing a Gtk2 theme engine

On 14/02/2011 15:46, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 15:26 +0100, Michele De Pascalis wrote:
On 13/02/2011 20:09, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 15:39 +0100, Michele De Pascalis wrote:
Is there a guide/tutorial/reference that explains how to write a Gtk
theme engine?
considering that the theme engine API changed pretty much drastically in
gtk3, are you really sure that you want to learn how to write a theme
engine for gtk2?

in any case, you should probably look at the Clearlooks theme engine,
and modify it instead of starting from scratch.
I'd rather to build it from scratch, because of the way I work.
again, I'd suggest smaller steps to understand an API that is not fully
documented.

  I guess
that Clearlooks is written in C, and I'd like to use an OOP language,
like C++, to build the engine, even if the API is procedural.
you cannot really write a theme engine in c++: a theme engine is a gtk+
module, and has to provide a fairly specific implementation of a C API
through GObject virtual functions and types.

However, how has the API changed whith gtk3?
quite radically. now you get passed a style context with meta-data about
the location and semantics of the UI element to draw, plus the Cairo
context to draw on.

  And when will gtk3 be released (for testing)?
gtk+ 3.0 has been released on February 10.

ciao,
  Emmanuele.

Right, going to check Clearlooks and gtk 3.0. Thanks