Re: g_file_read fails when running on a remote machine via ssh

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:19 AM, Jim George <jimgeorge gmail com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> In a larger GTK application that needs to do HTTP gets, I replaced use
> of cURL and some helper functions called "glibcurl" with GIO calls. I
> now face a strange problem that when the program runs locally,
> everything is fine, but when run over an SSH tunnel with X forwarding,
> the call to g_file_read fails, with a GError->message of "Operation
> not supported".
>
> To investigate this further, I wrote a small test program pasted below:
>
> #include <glib.h>
> #include <gio/gio.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <string.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>        char url[256] = "http://www.google.com";;
>        GFile *file;
>        GFileInputStream *istream;
>        GError *err = NULL;
>
>        if (argc > 1) {
>                strncpy(url, argv[1], 256);
>        }
>
>        printf("Opening %s\n", url);
>        file = g_file_new_for_uri(url);
>        istream = g_file_read(file, NULL, &err);
>
>        if (err != NULL) {
>                g_error("Could not open %s for reading: %s\n", url, err->message);
>                g_error_free(err);
>                return 1;
>        }
>
>        g_input_stream_close(G_INPUT_STREAM(istream), NULL, &err);
>        g_object_unref(file);
>
>        return 0;
> }
>
> I compiled this using: gcc -g -O0 `pkg-config --cflags --libs gio-2.0
> gtk+-2.0` -o test test.c
>
> Running ./test locally gives me the "Opening http://www.google.com";
> message, and a normal exit.
> When I run the program on a different machine, to which I have opened
> an ssh connection, I get this:
>
> Opening http://www.google.com
>
> ** ERROR **: Could not open http://www.google.com for reading:
> Operation not supported
>
> aborting...
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> This matches the behavior on my main gtk program. As a test, the
> behavior of the test program is identical when trying to access a text
> file on one of our local web servers.
>
> I couldn't find much documentation on gfile and gio by way of a
> tutorial, so I'm pretty much feeling my way around right now. What am
> I doing wrong?

I'm the wrong person to answer you directly about GIO, but I did
hear that the tls support is only very recently added to GIO.

Check that you are indeed using the unstable and unreleased new
glib package that includes this support.

Cheers,
         -Tristan