Find out whether a GtkTextMark is in the visible area

Hi folks,

I know there is a gtk_text_view_scroll_to_mark() and
gtk_text_view_scroll_mark_onscreen() function but I don't want to scroll
to a mark but check whether a mark is already on the screen. There is
gtk_text_mark_get_visible() but that only returns whether the mark is
painted.

Is there an easy way to do that? I probably can jump through through
various loopholes to get this (involving
gtk_text_buffer_get_iter_at_mark(), gtk_text_view_get_iter_location()
and gtk_text_view_get_visible_rect()) but then it might be just too much
work not worth the feature.

The background is, that I want to do an intelligent auto-scroll for a
chat log. If the scroll position is all the way on the bottom the
TextView should do the normal auto-scroll via
gtk_text_view_scroll_mark_onscreen() but if the user scrolled to a
different area (e.g. to read past posts) it should stop auto-scrolling
and just stay where it was. The easiest way I can think of right now
would be to have a right-weighted mark at the end of the log and
whenever a new message is posted check if the mark is in the visible
area, then add the new message and only when the mark was on screen
before make the TextView scroll_mark_onscreen()

Thanks for helping me out,
Michael