Re: Re: Why GtkTextIter doesn't provide a function to return its byte index? How to retrieve it?

You can use g_utf8_offset_to_pointer, and then its just a pointer arithmetic:

gchar *buffer = ... ;
gint offset = gtk_tree_iter_get_offset(iter);
gint index = g_utf8_offset_to_pointer(buffer, offset) - buffer;

Cheers
Ian L.