GtkComboBox insanely slow on large models (GTK 2.22)

Hello,

i tried to test GtkComboBox with just 10000 items (not that much) and
the app becomes totally unusable. I'm using my own tree model and my
own cell renderer.

While GtkTreeView works very well with a few ten thousand items,
GtkComboBox runs through all items multiple times when attaching
the model and displaying the list. And setting
"gtk_cell_renderer_set_fixed_size" seems not to work either, cause it
still iterates like crazy.

Is there anything i can do about it?

--
Best regards,
 Lothar                          mailto:llothar web de