Is widget in Notebook visible

I have a custom widget that resides on a page of a notebook.  I would like
for the widget to be able to detect by itself when it becomes visible or
invisible (as the user selects pages of the notebook).  The expose-event
tells me when the widget becomes visible, but I can't find a corresponding
event that tells me the converse.  Likewise, the visibility-notify-event
tells me only when the widget becomes visible, not the converse.  Any
suggestions?
--
Jeffrey Barish