Re: The best/standard way to use opengl in gtk

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 23:34 +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 06:03:03PM +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 16:08 +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> >
> > > We gave up on clutter because of its performance.  Not only did it
> > > render  slowly but  creating a  new clutter  item was  O(number of
> > > already existing items).
> >
> > it's a scene graph: what did you expect? :-p
>
> Hey, if  I had  known what  to expect I  wouldn't have  been profiling
> things!  :-p  ;-) But  seriously, I was  surprised to see  O(n) insert
> performance.  Are  scene graphs so  new/esoteric that no-one  has done
> better?

the O(n) insertion is purely an internal detail of ClutterGroup: we kind
of guarantee that the order of insertion maps the order of allocation
and paint for that particular container implementation. nothing prevents
you from implementing your own Container that has O(1) insertion, or O(n
log n), or whatever kind of insertion you need.

but, again: if you're just displaying models then a full scene graph,
with per-node event handling and animation, it's not what you want.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name