AWeather/libgis split

I posted[1] here a while back about a virtual globe library that I was
working on as part of another program called AWeather. Since then I
decided to split it into a separate project, now called libgis. With
some additional work and a nice front-end, I think this might be useful
as the core of a Gnome replacement for Google Earth.

  http://lug.rose-hulman.edu/wiki/Libgis

As a follow up to the previous post, I talked with some of the
developers working on libchamplain and we decided that libgis and
libchamplain were addressing different issues. Libchamplain is more for
2D maps, while libgis is geared towards a 3D globe.

There are some initial API docs[2] available for anyone who is
interested in trying it, although the gis-demo and gis-test example
programs included in the source code might be more useful as a starting
point.

  http://lug.rose-hulman.edu/proj/libgis/api/

The current version, 0.4.1, depends on libsoup and gtkglext and should
compile pretty easily on most distros. There's also a gentoo ebuild in
the sunrise overlay, ubuntu packages, and a Win32 installer for AWeather
(which bundles libgis). See the AWeather install page for details:

  http://lug.rose-hulman.edu/wiki/AWeather/Install

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2009-September/msg00050.html