How to bring up tooltip text for certain words in a GTK textview?

A textview shows help text with many 'technical' words that users may not know or remember. I would like a tooltip text with a short explanation to pop up when a user hovers the cursor over a technical phrase. There is a lookup table from technical phrases to explanations. I am thinking about using the mouse move event to get x,y then getting the technical phrase from x,y, then looking up the explanation and outputting the tooltip text.

Are there better ways?