GTK on Linux and UTF-8 text

Hi,

I previously worked with GTK only on Windows and the Windows builds of GTK
always used UTF-8 for everything. Now I played a bit with GTK on Linux and
noticed that it doesn't seem to handle UTF-8 correctly by default.
Instead, ISO 8859-1 is used (which should be my locale's default charset).
When I pass UTF-8 text to functions like gtk_dialog_add_button(), then the
specified strings seem to be treated as ISO-8859-1, i.e. non ASCII
characters appear as multiple characters instead of being resolved to the
single character they represent according to UTF-8 decoding tables.

Could someone tell me how I can convince GTK to use UTF-8 as the default
on Linux, too?

Thanks alot,

Andreas