Pango context in size request

Hi group,

This is probably a dumb-ass question that I ought to know the answer
to, but...

I'm building a custom widget which includes some text that needs to be
fitted round. To do it right I need to obtain the size of these by
calling Pango functions with a context obtained for the widget. Is it
guaranteed OK to do this in the .._size_request function? I kind of
figure it must be because lots of widgets (labels, for example) must
surely do so, but I can't find any definite confirmation in the docs.

Cheers,
Rob