Creating a windowless fake tooltip

Hi all, quick question.

I'm trying to create a "fake tooltip", but I don't want to make it in
a window, I want to draw it into an EventBox.

The problem is that doing gtk_set_name(eventbox, "gtk-tooltip")
doesn't seem to have any effect.

gtk_set_name(window, "gtk-tooltip") works great. I don't see anything
in gtkrc that obviously makes that style only apply to windows.

 But I can't get it to do anything for gtk_set_name(eventbox,
"gtk-tooltip") or gtk_set_name(hbox, "gtk-tooltip").

And it doesn't work to just set the label to gtk-tooltip, since labels
don't draw their own background.

Is that expected, is there something else I should try? Thanks!

(Incidentally, what I'm doing is drawing the tooltip to an offscreen
window, so that I can create a snapshot of it. I'm then using this to
create a texture in OpenGL that I use to draw tooltips that match the
current desktop styling. Just creating the tooltip in a fake GtkWindow
doesn't work because it can't be added to an offscreen window, and I
don't want the fake tooltip to ever be displayed.)

-- Aaron