Re: Does GTK leak memory

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh yahoo com> wrote:

> --- On Wed, 6/2/10, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

>> don't even waste your time. gtk does not leak.
>
> I have never laughed more. Just go through gtk+ release notes and look for
> the fixed bugs related to memory leaks.
>
> gtk+ propaganda machine is much worse and obnoxious than the former USSR
> one.

anyone who has been on this list as long as i have will know that the
vast majority of "GTK leaks" reports turn out to be false. they
normally consist of reports gathered with inadequate and/or
inadequately documented tools by people who have an inadequate (though
entirely forgivable) understanding of how memory allocation works in a
complex application with linkage to lots of libraries.

i did say in my post  "there have, on occasion, been small bugs found
that cause leakage under particular circumstances." and yes, if your
application is hitting these circumstances, then you will have leak
issues. but the OP didn't ask about that. he asked a general broad
question, and the general, broad answer is "no it doesn't."

do you want to bring up the next comparison, or shall we leap ahead to
godwin's law and consider the thread done already?