Re: simple compass widget available

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:11:54 -0500 Pierre-Luc wrote:
> You can also try to push it for inclusion in Gtk+ itself since most "3rd
> party Gtk+ widget" libraries have been killed or merged.
Is that true? The GTK widget list is still fairly basic, and none of
the extended widget sets I've used are incorporated. Certainly, to my
knowledge, gtk+-extra is still separate (and is not dead, in fact it's
just acquired an extra maintainer) and gtkdatabox is under continuing
development as a separate entity. There are widgets in the Gnome
project (used by e.g. ghex) that are not in GTK itself despite sharing
hosting and many developers.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea - incorporating extra facilities into
the core library would make it more appealing to users - but it doesn't
appear to be common practice and I get the impression the GTK
maintainers don't really want the hassle of taking on lots of other
people's babies.