GTK+ seems to be ignoring my font selections.

Hi.  I'm having some strange problems with font selection in GTK+
applications.  First, in my gtk2rc, I have

 gtk-font-name = "DejaVu Sans 8"

which gives me nice latin fonts.  However, Japanese text looks really
bad, because GTK+ is choosing IPAGothic over other, nicer fonts.  I
looked at my fontconfig settings, and sure enough, IPAGothic is listed
quite high in the default preference list.  To fix that, I edited
~/.fonts.conf and put the following:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
  <fontconfig>
    <alias>
      <family>sans-serif</family>
      <prefer>
        <family>DejaVu Sans</family>
        <family>M+ 2p</family>
        <family>Kochi Gothic</family>
        <family>IPAGothic</family>
      </prefer>
    </alias>
  </fontconfig>

But now Kochi Gothic is preferred over M+ 2p, which is better than
before but still not ideal.  It seems that I can make almost any other
kind of preference I want, but GTK+ applications will never choose the
M+ 2p font!  Qt seems to have no trouble with this configuration, and
uses M+ 2p for Japanese text.

Running fc-match -s 'DejaVu Sans 8' reflects my above configuration
exactly (output appended).  What am I doing wrong here, and how can I
get GTK+ to choose the right fonts?  Thanks.

  % fc-match -s 'DejaVu Sans 8'
  DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
  DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Bold"
  DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Oblique"
  DejaVuSans-BoldOblique.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Bold Oblique"
  mplus-2p-medium.ttf: "M+ 2p" "medium"
  kochi-gothic-subst.ttf: "Kochi Gothic" "Regular"
  ipag.ttf: "IPAGothic" "Regular"
  n019003l.pfb: "Nimbus Sans L" "Regular"
  arial.ttf: "Arial" "Normal"
  helvR12-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz: "Helvetica" "Regular"
  gkai00mp.ttf: "AR PL KaitiM GB" "Regular"
  bkai00mp.ttf: "AR PL KaitiM Big5" "Regular"
  dotum.ttf: "Baekmuk Dotum" "Regular"
  gulim.ttf: "Baekmuk Gulim" "Regular"
  Meiryo, Regular.ttc: "Meiryo" "Normal"
  cour.ttf: "Courier New" "Normal"
  DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"
  DejaVuSerif.ttf: "DejaVu Serif" "Book"
  ariblk.ttf: "Arial Black" "Normal"
  webdings.ttf: "Webdings" "Regular"
  ukai.ttc: "AR PL UKai CN" "Book"
  ukai.ttc: "AR PL UKai HK" "Book"
  ukai.ttc: "AR PL UKai TW MBE" "Book"
  s050000l.pfb: "Standard Symbols L" "Regular"
  uming.ttc: "AR PL UMing CN" "Light"
  DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Bold"
  DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf: "DejaVu Serif" "Bold"
  DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf: "DejaVu Serif" "Italic"
  DejaVuSerif-BoldItalic.ttf: "DejaVu Serif" "Bold Italic"
  12x13ja.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "ja"
  6x12-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "SemiCondensed"
  6x12.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "SemiCondensed"
  6x13.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "SemiCondensed"
  ter-112n.pcf.gz: "Terminus" "Regular"
  9x15.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "Regular"