Re: getting started in gtk+ development

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Anand Arumugam <anand arumug gmail com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Anand Arumugam <anand arumug gmail com>
>> wrote:
>> > hello all,
>> >
>> > i'm new to the gtk+ development and i would like to get started on by
>> > fixing
>> > some bugs. i created an account in gnome bugzilla and went through the
>> > "GTK+
>> > Love Bug List" list. I have searched around the website for details on
>> > how
>> > to get started with the development and could not find any. Can you
>> > please
>> > point me to it? any tips on how to get started is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Hang around in channel #gtk+ on GimpNet irc and observe how things
>> get done there... try fixing some easier bugs to get started and get
>> familiar
>> with gnome bugzilla customs... watch/read gtk-devel-list mailing list.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>        -Tristan
>
> I have never used IRC before. But I have heard a lot about it being the
> means of communication with other developers around the world. Can you tell
> me how to setup an account and how to use it? And how its generally used by
> Gnome developers?

Just install any irc client, a popular client is xchat... you dont
need any account.

Just log into GimpNet server and join the channel '#gtk+'.

You will find many projects out there have an associated irc channel
on GimpNet, Freenode or another server.

Cheers,
         -Tristan

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try it once I get home from work. How do you know with whom you are talking to without having an a/c? For example, if you are online in #gtk+ how will I know that I am talking to you? I think I have to create an a/c with GimpNet server and that will be used when u join the #gtk+ channel. Is that right?

-Anand.