Re: Trying to cross compile glib-2.18.2 for ARM

Hi Chuck,

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:54:16 -0600 you wrote:
> >> checking for posix getpwuid_r... (cached) yes
> >> checking for posix getgrgid_r... configure: error: in
> >> `/opt/Freescale1/ltib/rpm/BUILD/glib-2.18.2':
> >> configure: error: cannot run test program while cross
> >> compiling
> >> See `config.log' for more details.
> >> error: Bad exit status from
> >> /opt/Freescale1/ltib/tmp/rpm-tmp.29960 (%
> >> build)

<snip>

> What, exactly, are the 'test programs' that the glib make tries to run?
> There must have been a way to disable this in the older version of glib
> (glib-2.12.11) packaged with the Freescale ltib build, since that build
> does not have this issue. Was this an added feature of newer glib releases?

It's not "glib make", it's the configure script. In order to confirm
whether glib can use a POSIX compliant getgrgid_r the configure script
has to build and run a test program to check for compliance. For most
things it's enough to compile the test, but for some compliance checks
the program must actually be run on the target system. That's rather
hard for configure to do when cross-compiling.

It may be possible to explicitly tell configure whether the test would
pass (or rather, to explicitly tell it whether to use the function) but
it may not. The fact that older versions didn't suffer this problem
could be down to older versions not needing that function, or it may be
the availability was incorrectly assumed rather than tested.

And that's about as much as I know on the topic!

Rob