Re: future GTK+ rendering to browser

On 04/07/2010 11:25 AM, frederico schardong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is possible develop complex web systems with this API? Complex as PHP/AJAX/JS.

What do you mean?  With API are you referring to?

I don't mean GTK should generate the HTML (the web interface).  Only
that GTK apps could (depending on how you do it) export a backend API
over SOAP or XMLRPC.  Then your frontend, written in whatever language
is appropriate (such as python or php) communicates with this backend.
Just one possible architecture.  There are many ways you could do this.

I actually end up writing backend stuff in python and django, and then
use xmlrpc to allow a GTK frontend app to communicate with it.  That way
my app can be a web-based app, written in an appropriate language (like
python), and then I can provide desktop frontends for when the web is
not convenient or appropriate as a front end.

Regardless of how you do the back end, web front-ends are always going
to be a mix of some server language (the language that dynamically
generates the html pages) and will definitely require Javascript (ajax)
and CSS skill.  There's no real getting around that, at least if you
want to use a web browser as a client.