gtk_widget_set_size_request() doesn't allow widgets to shrink.

I've always used gtk_widget_set_size_request() to set the minimum size of
a widget. However, calling this function makes it impossible for the user
to resize the window that contains such a widget any smaller than the size
request. Up until now that hasn't been a problem for me.

Is there a way I can request a certain size for a widget, but then also
allow that widget to shrink so that the user can resize the window to
however big/small he/she wants?