Compiling gtk+ with MinGW on WindowsXP - perl problem

Hello,

following the instructions from
http://kemovitra.blogspot.com/2009/06/compiling-gtk-2-for-windows.html
i succeeded in compiling the full gtk-stack these days with MinGW/Msys
on WindowsXP SP3. Hopefully this page will prevail.

I've encountered some problems of course and made one or two silly errors.
Here is a small bug in the build sources: make install doesn't copy
zlib.h and zconf.h to /usr/include. But doing this manually was enough
for continuing.

But: At step 11 - atk - compilation failed for the first time. It is
here, where more than the MinGW/Msys core is needed, the perl script
glib-mkenums has to be run at the start of make. Apparently perl tries
to write something into /usr/bin/env, which doesn't exist. Creating it
manually - from the msys shell or not - changes the error message to
include "Permission denied" then (of course i did all this with admin
privileges).

Searching the net i found out that getting msys's chmod to work on
XP is a well-known problem. Apparently nobody has a definite answer
to it.

There are files atk-enum-types.c and .h in the sources, headed by
/* Generated data (by glib-mkenums) */. Having gained trust in the
quality of the code i proceeded with make --ignore-errors. All the
same - the existence of enum-types.c and .h too - with pango and finally
gtk. And the libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll thus won works well with my large
python applications.

But it doesn't work completely, i got the g_loadable_icon_load error,
which is discussed in a mozilla context elsewhere, when trying to
use anything that requires gtk's stock icons. Thus i cannot see
widgets with gtk-demo, and my apps are crashing on right-clicks
in Entries. Of course i am not sure, that this is related to the
compilation problem (perhaps not).

At this point nothing forces me to use the self-compiled binaries.
But having worked a day on it, i'd be very fond of seeing a clean
compilation process. Is there any way to work around these perl
scripts ? Unfortunately i couldn't find any line starting them in
the Makefile, in config.status or elsewhere. I'd also like to use
the MinGW/Msys core only.

Thanks for your attention, Joost